I realize I haven't been blogging much of late.... to be honest it's partially because there's not much to blog about and I don't really like to blab about boring day-to-day stuff (that's what twitter and tumblr are for. But I don't really keep up with those, either). But partially because I feel like this year has been sort of a year for reflecting, keeping quiet, and observing. 2007 was really rough and while 2008 was an improvement, things are still settling down, like the ripple effect of a stone being thrown in the water. The economy has taken a toll on everyone, and it seems to be affecting everything from everyone's general mood and optimism, to physical assests like savings, to book sales, and getting freelance work. It's affected me a bit in all these ways, most notably that my run on Sabrina is coming to an end. It's sad because it's been my job for the past 5 years, and I've really grown to love the characters and world. But all good things must come to an end and I really feel fortunate that it will end with me having told a complete story, rather than it just trailing off and fading away. I'm looking it as an opportunity to focus on new projects, including my own personal projects which I haven't been giving as much attention to in recent years.
I am pleased that I kept up with most of my resolutions for 2008.
Last year I resolved to:
1. Write More. I want to possibly attempt a novel. I want to write way more Dollar Dreadfuls.
I wrote more Dollar Dreadfuls and started a novel. I wish I had done even more, but I feel pretty satisfied overall.
2. Get Dollar Dreadfuls off the ground, open our online store, and create more content.
Will and I finally launched our online shop, The Bazaarium and so far, it's been doing great! The next step will be to expand on our store and figure out how to streamline things, such as figuring out how to make prepping each individual order take less time.
3. I resolved to be more healthy. I'm going to take vitamins and exercise more. I think this will improve my mood and productivity. I think I also want to learn to cook so we don't eat so much fast food and tv dinners.
I've started taking vitamins everyday and taking better care of my teeth (still have yet to go to the dentist.... I'm scared!!!). I rode my bike a lot and got in good shape over the summer, but I haven't really kept up with that in the fall and winter... As for cooking... well, that's something I still need to work on!
4. Go on vacation with Will. Will and I haven't really gotten much of a break this year, and the last time we went on a trip together was over a year ago. I really want to go somewhere where we can just unwind and see something new.
This was the one thing that didn't really happen. Will was supposed to come with me to Japan, but that fell through because of work, so I ended up going by myself rather than lose my deposit. We were also supposed to go to Palm Springs for a weekend, but that also fell through. Will works so hard and I can't help but think of those Bahamavention commercials. I want to hijack him and force him on a relaxing vacation with no computer! This is my ultimate resolution for 2009, especially since it'll be our 10th anniversary of being together!
So basically, my resolutions are the same, just bigger and better. i have a good feeling about 2009. Nine is my lucky number and I feel hopeful about a future where Obama is president.
Now, without further ado, my yearly meme under the cut! Happy New Year, everyone!!
1) Was 2008 a good year for you?
Better than '07, but still not my best year...
2) What was your favorite moment of the year?
Hmm. My memory is foggy... it's hard to pick one favorite moment. But the things that stand out are : going snowboarding with friends for the first time, going back to Japan, having my brother and Mike and Raina visit, and going to NY with Will for the MoCCA art fest.
3) What was your least favorite moment of the year?
Hmm... nothing major comes to mind.... but finding out that Sabrina was coming to an end was a bummer... although I kind of expected it.
4) Where were you when 2007 began?
At home with Will and the pups - a quiet evening!
6) Where will you be when 2008 ends?
7) Who will you be with when 2008 ends?
With my parents, brothers and dogs, but not Will :(
8) Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept most of my resolutions! I'll make more for next year - it's always good to have goals in mind.
9) Did you travel outside of the US in 2008?
Yes! I went back to Japan!
10) How many different states did you travel to in 2008?
Just 3 I think... NY, GA and CO
11) What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2008?
Mostly, I want a house of our own, but I don't think that's likely.
12) What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 4th, when Obama was elected president!
13) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Riding 34 miles on my fixed gear bike for diabetes, and finishing up my 42 issue run on Sabrina, and launching an online store with Will.
14) What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping up with My Poorly Drawn Life. I get grief about it from my friends every time I see them!
15) Where did most of your money go?
To our ridiculous rent. Also, we spent a lot on business supplies for our home business. And a vintage Blythe doll *cough*
16) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going back to Japan on a Pop Japan Travel tour. Also, I was really excited for the presidential election and voting. I was glued to CNN for weeks.
17) What song will always remind you of 2008?
Pretty much any song from the Foo Fighters' album Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, "Love Hurts" by Incubus, "Hanging on Too Long" and "Stepping Stone" by Duffy
18) What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I went snowboarding for the first time, and I rode 34 miles on my bike for the Tour de Cure.
19) Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my bestest friends, Lisa, gave birth to a baby boy named Noah!
20) Did anyone close to you die?
21) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Luckily, nothing major, but in November I was sick almost the whole month, first with a cold, then with food poisoning! It sucked.
22) What was the best thing you bought?
A vintage Blythe doll. And my new macbook.
23) Whose behavior merited celebration?
Will-- he's really been great through all the ups and downs.
24) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No one specifically...But I was appalled and depressed that Proposition 8 passed in California. I mean, come ON people!!
25) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Thinner/Fatter: I've gained some weight but not much
Richer/Poorer: Richer, but still working on building savings and reducing debts.
26) What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish Will and I traveled more together. Even if just to small weekend places like Palm Springs or Las Vegas.... oh well.... there's always next year.
27) What do you wish you’d done less of?
28) Did you fall in love in 2008?
Not with anyone new!! But just Will as always :)
29) What was your favorite TV program?
Dexter and Gossip Girl!! Oh, and I discovered 30 Rock!
30) Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone. But there are people I used to be friends with that I don't really talk to anymore.
31) What was the best book you read?
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, Atonement by Ian McEwan, and Garden Spells by Sarah Allen.
32) What was your greatest musical discovery?
I didn't really find an artist that blew me away... but I enjoyed hearing Duffy for the first time.
33) What did you want and get?
A vintage Blythe, a new computer.
34) What did you want and not get?
I didn't really want much, material-wise. (Besides an SLR digital camera). Mostly, I want a trip to Hawaii!
35) What was your favorite film of this year?
I really liked the Dark Knight and Iron Man.
36) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 and Will and I went to the Stinking Rose garlic restaurant. Mmm!
37) What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If we didn't live in California. Ha, just kidding. I dunno... maybe if I got more writing done I'd feel more satisfied.
38) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Pretty much wearing all the same clothes I did last year. A mix of my 80's style colorful t-shirts, and skinny jeans. I don't think I'm dressing AS colorfully as last year though.
39) What kept you sane?
Having Will to vent to and to bounce ideas off of. And journaling, which always balances me. Riding my bike. But most of all, finding a nearby trail where I can walk the dogs regularly.
40) Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Ed Westwick from Gossip girl! And my usual faves: Alan Rickman, Johnny Depp, Anderson Cooper.
41) What political issue stirred you the most?
The election! Everything about it! All the propositions and measures! I've never been so involved with politics as I was this year. Goooo Obama!
42) Who did you miss?
Raina and Mike in NY and Lisa and John in CO! And my family in Atlanta.
43) Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't really meet anyone new... but I've started going to the yarn store regularly and have been getting to know the ladies there.
44) What was your favorite month of 2008?
I have no idea... all had their hi's and low's.
45) How many concerts did you see in 2008?
Hmm... Nine Inch Nails (again!), Saul Williams, and the Veronicas. I might be missing somebody...
46) Did you have a favorite concert in 2008?
I always enjoy seeing Nince Inch Nails. They know how to put on a show.
47) did you do a lot of drugs in 2008?
None and I never will.
48) How much money did you spend in 2008?
I don't know.... but I've been more frugal than in the past, save for a few notable purchases.
49) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008
If you're stuck somewhere you don't really like, you may as well make the most of it, because otherwise you'll be miserable. Which is basically a long way of saying: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
50) What are your plans for 2009?
I want to finish a novel, keep working on new products for our online store, and I want to take a real vacation with Will!!! (No computers allowed!)